Día 21: Comida en Santanilla

Santanilla

This Saturday we had an excursion to Santanilla and Santander which are very north, in the Cantabrian region.  It was a 3 hour drive to Santanilla from Valladolid. We were told to try quesada and sobao, specialties of Santanila.

Note: La comida means both food and lunch. 


Quesada

This dessert has cuajada, egg, sugar, flour, & butter.  Cuajada means curdled and it is a fresh, pudding like cheese made from sheep´s milk.  I tried a sample of quesada and wasn´t very impressed. The texture was like a very firm custard and I didn´t think it had any flavor. When I googled quesada, I found that it can also be made with a little lemon zest and cinnamon, which would make it much more appealing in my opinion.


Sobao

This is a cake with a crumbly, bready texture and bright yellow color. I tried a sample and thought it overly sweet.  This traditional cake was originally made from bread dough, sugar, and butter. Modern recipes use flour instead of bread dough, sugar, butter, eggs, salt, yeast, lemon zest, and rum. All the sobao available here came in plastic packaging.  I imagine that there are better, freshly baked versions of sobao in the Valles Pasiegos, where it originated. Valles Pasiegos are south of Santanilla, still in the Cantabrian region.

Bakery in Santanilla

This is the bakery where I tried the sabao.

I thought these mini eclairs were so cute.

Comments