Día 15 en Valladolid: La Paella

La Comida
 La Paella
 
 Rebecca and I could smell the paella as we walked in the door after having visited Casa de Cólon. Chón´s paella was brothier today, which wasn´t necessarily a bad thing, and it was quite delicious.  I´m still curious what "true paella" with the soccarat (crusty bottom) tastes like. She used some uncured chorizo, mussels (mejillones), clams (almejas), shrimp (camarones), and squid (calamar).

 Ensalada Cruda con Pollo Frito
 
The chicken was very tasty with a nice crisp crust. Chón dipped the chicken cutlets in her grated baguette breadcrumbs and then fried them.  The tomato-cucumber salad had ground pepper today.  The chicken and salad pair very nicely.

 La Sandía


Comments

  1. Are mussels as chewy as clams? -AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as much--they´re a Little more tender. I like them better than the shrimp which is very tricky to eat.

      Delete
  2. Did Chón use a "bomba" rice in the paella? I read that bomba rice makes a difference in paella due to its greater ability to absorb liquid than the standard rice. I saw a kilo bag of bomba rice from Spain at WF, and it was twice the price of the other Spanish rice that was sitting next to it. Maybe this rice contributes to the soccarat?

    I happened to be at Cost Plus the other day and saw a carbon steel paella pan that was made in Spain. Will you be getting one before you leave Spain? -AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she just used regular. She said she´s never used bomba rice because it´s too expensive for her. I hadn´t thought about that possibility, but I bet you´re right that it would help form the soccarat. I´m not going to get a paella pan because it will be too big and heavy for my luggage. I don´t have much wiggle room in the weight department.

      Delete

Post a Comment