Noche 16 en Valladolid: La Sopa de Ajo

La Cena
La Sopa de Ajo
 
This is a Spanish soup designed to use up stale barra (baguette style bread). Chón started by frying some sliced garlic (ajo), then added bread cut into small chunks. Next came paprika (pimentón) and water.  She brought the mixture to a boil, let it simmer, then mixed in a beaten egg (huevo batido) and took the pot off the heat after pronouncing, "Está."
 
 This soup smelled so good because of the garlic and was quite tasty. I´ve never had any soup like it.  It´s traditionally eaten in the Winter (invierno), but it was appropriate for tonight´s wintry weather--rainy and cool.
 
 Huevos Fritos con Ensalada y Queso Maasdam
 
Tomatoes pair wonderfully with eggs. The cheese is Maasdam, a milder form of Swiss.  It´s a buttery, semi-hard cheese from the Netherlands.  A fun dinner to eat because there were so many harmonious flavors to switch back and forth between.  A little bite of Maasdam, a bite of cucumber, a bite of egg with tomato....I read that it´s best to alternate what you eat so that your taste buds don´t get bored.  Apparently after 2 bites of the same thing, flavors become "old news."
.
Melocotón con Yogur de Piña
 
The last of the odd peaches.  It doesn´t taste that much like a peach, but has peach fuzz. The texture is also firmer than normal peaches.  Chón said it´s the last time she´ll buy them.  They are a pretty orange color, though.

Comments

  1. I got my first tomatoes of the season in my CSA bag today, and I can hardly wait to cut one up and season it with balsamic vinegar! -AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum. I look forward to trying all our new heirloom tomatoes when I get home.

      Delete
  2. Since you liked the Maasdam, ask your Mom to buy some French Comte cheese at Costco when you're back.

    I went to a lecture by the cookbook author Marie Simmons and was introduced to pairing cheeses with artisanal honeys. She paired Comte cheese with Star Thistle honey, and a French blue called Fourne D'ambert with Avocado honey (which was quite dark). Since I really like the darker honeys (like buckwheat), I thought this was a wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great combo! I´ll have to try that. I wonder what Avocado honey tastes like...

      I haven´t ever had dark honey before and really like it. I´m curious if buckwheat honey tastes at all like buckhweat.

      Delete

Post a Comment