Noche 8 en Valladolid: El Caldo

La Cena
 El Caldo con Pasta
 
This was the leftover broth from the soup Chón made the other day.  That soup used chorizo, beef (vacca), and lamb (cordero), plus vegetables, which made an incredibly flavorful broth. She reheated it and added 2 different kinds of pasta, neither of which I have seen in the US. One was like short spaghetti (Fideo No. 0) and the other was spherical (Perles Maravilla). I liked the visual effect created by combining the 2 shapes. The broth smelled so good when she was heating it on the stove.  There´s something so magical about homemade soup.
 La Merlurza Frita con Ensalada Verde

Merluza is hake,similar to cod. Chón sprinkled salt on the fish then dipped the fillets in white flour (la harina) then beaten egg (huevo batido)and then fried them.  The fish was tender and delicious. This was the last of the lettuce (lechuga) so it was mostly white and yellow (blanca y amarilla) in color. 

I like having a little baguette to accompany my salad, and since the bread is kind of plain and dry, I´ve found that spreading on some queso cremoso (cream cheese) gives it that extra needed moisture and flavor. I noticed everyone else has started doing this, too.  Cream cheese has half the fat of butter, so it´s a healthy alternative.  Nutrition label info is very similar regarding the percent breakdown of fat, sat. fat, etc., but the serving size for butter is 1 T whereas it´s 2 T for cream cheese. I only use about 1/4 tsp on my bread, so a 2 T serving size seems awfully extravagant.
Un Paraguaya con Yogur
 
I think donut peaches are one of my favorite fruits. They are are not messy to cut because they have a miniscule pit (un hueso), compared to the massive pit of a regular peach.

Comments