Noche 15 en Valladolid: Queso Maasdam

La Cena
Gazpacho con Queso Maasdam

We had gazpacho (from a carton) tonight instead of salad. Chón brought out a plate of cheese I´ve never tried before called Maasdam.  I researched it after dinner and found that it´s a semi-hard cow´s cheese from the Netherlands created in the 1990s as a less expensive alternative to Swiss Emmental cheese.  Maasdam has holes and a milder "swiss" flavor. It´s creamy and buttery and does a nice job of balancing the acidity of gazpacho.  I alternated eating the maasdam with the soup.

 Malurza Frita

Malurza is hake, which is a white fish similar to cod.

Arroz con Leche y Paraguaya

I asked if arroz con leche is served hot in the winter.  The answer was that it is always eaten cold, no matter the season. Eating it with the donut peach helped balance the creamy sweetness of the arroz con leche. 

 I just love the hint of lemon in this dessert. It´s amazing what lemon peel can do to brighten a dish.

Comments