Noche 1 en Barcelona: Milhojas de Calabacin

La Cena at Tapas Tapas

My train arrived in Barcelona in the afternoon and I went to the Museu Nacional d'Art Catalunya with a French guy I met at my Hostel.  In the evening I just wandered around, checking out the different shops and various tapas places. I finally settled on Tapas Tapas at about 10:45, prime dinner time in Spain. It was very hot and humid during the day and wasn't much cooler at night. Fortunately, the unbearable humidity didn't last for the whole trip.

 Milhojas de calabacin con queso de cabra (Zucchini millefeuille with goat cheese)

Millefeuille is a classic French dessert of 3 puff pastry layers that alternate with 2 pastry cream layers. It literally means "a thousand leaves," because of the multiple layers within one sheet of puff pastry.  Savory millefeuilles have become more popular, such as the one I had at Tapas Tapas.

 Layers of zucchini alternated with a tomato—goat cheese—olive oil layer.  After I ordered this tapa, the bar tender put it in a toaster oven for a few minutes to heat it through and melt the goat cheese.  It was a wonderful combination of flavors.  

I'm a slow eater, so it was nice being able to order the tapas one at a time, preventing them from getting cold.

 Brocheta de rape y camarones a la plancha (Monkfish and shrimp brochette)

This was my first time having monkfish. It's a firmer, white fish, perfect for skewering. I loved the addition of the cherry tomatoes.  There's nothing like the juicy explosion of a grilled tomato in your mouth!


Ensalada de tomates cerezas y mozzarella (Cherry tomato mozzarella salad)

This was a wonderfully refreshing salad on a hot night. I am a huge olive fan, so I loved  having addition of the salty cured kalamata olives. The salad was marinated in an olive oil-balsamic vinegar dressing with dried basil. 

I got a free beer with my dinner because I struck up a conversation with a Spanish man sitting two seats down from me.  It was nice being able to practice my Spanish.  He was born in Spain, but moved to Switzerland for its orderliness. He was here in Barcelona on vacation. 

Comments