Tarde 14: Hacienda Santa Martha


Oaxaca is land of the 7 moles.  We went to a buffet of traditional Oaxaceñan fare and set up a mole taste taste.

From L to R: Chichilo (beefy & smokey), Coloradito (sweet tomato), Negro (sweet chocolate), Estufillo (sweet & sour), Verde (herbal & pesto-y), Rojo (spicy & smokey), Amarillo (herbal & vegetal). 

Moles seem to vary a bit depending on who is the chef, so at this restaurant, I enjoyed the mole Verde & Rojo the best.  The mole Negro was extremely sweet and didn't taste at all like the homemade version I had on my very first day in Oaxaca.  


 The papaya was perfectly ripe and I loved the combination of the  mini pork taco with pico de gallo and lime-enhanced jicama.  

 So many choices!


The taco bar was my favorite station because the tortillas were mini and warmed to order, the pork was well-seasoned, and there were lots of fresh, colorful toppings.


Miltomate is a synonym for tomatillo. This soup was rather sour because tomatillos are much more acidic than red tomatoes.


The poblanos and onions gave these potatoes lots of flavor.


This was one of my favorites because it had layers of spice and an assortment of veggies.


The papaya was excellent with a squirt of lime.


This restaurant was located on top of a hill, allowing for an incredible 360º view.  There was even a mini forest with a good amount of lime trees.

En Mexico, me encanta como los nubes me rodean. 
In Mexico, I love how the clouds surround me.

Comments

  1. Have any greens been featured in a dish (aside from spinach)? I'd be pining for some chard or kale by now. -AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a very small amount of spinach in a soup Aurea made for lunch with chickpeas, but nothing besides that. Leafy greens don't seem to be a big thing here and they don't have kale at all, nor does any local I've talked to know what kale is. There was chard in one of the traditional soups at this buffet, but very well-cooked.

      Delete

Post a Comment