Café Fika


Kate from Café Bre told me to try this place. I'm very surprised I didn't read about it on TripAdvisor because it turned out to be my favorite!  It was run by a married couple, and Kate told me that the owner, Zempatec, was sueco (Swedish). 

Fika is Swedish for coffee.   


I loved how the couple's clothing colors coordinated so well with the turquoise wall.


There were three options for the prensa francesa and the owner, Zempatec, said the one from Chiapas was the least acidic and most berry forward, so I went with that.  

Even though it says "Acidez: Alta," which means a high level of acidity, I didn't think it as acidic or citrus-like as some other Central American coffees.




I noticed Fika used the same kind of kettle as Café Bre, and it just so happened that this exact pot was for sale at my local Peet's back in California!  



We went to Fika twice. The first time, I got the prensa francesa chica, and the second time we split a grande because my other coffee gals wanted to taste what I was raving about.  

When the barista was pouring the hot water into the french press, she said, "Como aroma terapio!" (It's like aroma therapy!)


Stairs leading up to the second floor table area. 



A very calming start to a busy day.  Zempatec came up to bring the coffee when it was ready and told me that he thought one of the primary flavors was zarzamora (blackberry) and I could totally taste that! 

This was also a very special coffee because the coffee cherries from Chiapas are dried for 1 month, allowing more flavor development.  Zempatec said the majority of coffee cherries are usually just dried for 1 week before the bean is removed from inside the fruit. 


This was a bittersweet day because it was our last time to have coffee together in Oaxaca.  Maria (in green Oaxacan shirt) and Donna were both glad they ventured outside of their latte comfort zone and tried the French press.  

Rating out of 5 stars
Coffee: 5+ stars
Mug: 3 stars (non-descript)
Ambience: 5 stars
Service: 5 stars

Comments