Día 2 en Barcelona: Paella Party

Iced Cappuccino

Got this after Picasso Museum and was expecting something more liquidy and refreshing. It was literally all foam! 

Gazpacho y Melón con Jamón
 We were all quite hot and tired after spending several hours in the sun at Parc Güell.  So gazpacho was the perfect choice.  My waiter suggested adding a few drops of tabasco, too. Katie and I split the plate of Piel de Sapo Melón con Jamón. I loved the combination of sweet and salty. The jamón was quite luscious and probably was Jamón Serrano since the menu didn't specifically say "Jamón Iberico." 
Katelyn, Me, Audrey, Katie


On my way to the Sagrada Familia I stopped to take a picture of this beautiful paella.  Not only did I get a picture, but this Spanish group said, "Come, sit down and eat with us!" They went in to get a plate for me and I got to have some delicious paella and talk in Spanish for a bit. I noticed that the paella had the special crusty layer on the bottom called socarrat. When I mentioned this, the man next to me said, "Mámá, she knows about socarrat!"

This was the friendly group of Spaniards. The guy in the orange shirt was originally from California and knew both English and Spanish, so I was able to ask him a few questions I had about how best to say some Spanish phrases. When I said the "La paella es deliciosa," he said deliciosa was too polite and that buena or rica were more appropriate.

When I was with the Spanish group I had to be aware of the time because I had made a reservation for 4 to 5 for the Sagrada Familia and didn't want to be late. When I was getting ready to leave they said, "Stay a little longer and relax." But if you miss the one hour Sagrada Familia reservation window, your ticket is no good and I definitely didn't want to miss out. I ended up running to get there because I had about 7 minutes to get there and I made it just in time!

La Sagrada Familia

The Sagrada Familia is still under construction and is projected to be finished in about 20 years. The things being worked on now are the stained glass windows and exterior towers.

Gaudí died in 1926 at age 73 after being hit by a train. The Sagrada Familia was his life-long project which he knew wouldn't be finished while he was still alive. He left to-scale models for future architects so that his cathedral would be properly constructed. 

Comments