Café Brújula


The second week of our month-long study abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico, we felt more comfortable venturing farther away for our before school coffee adventure. Lobo Azul was about a 10 minute walk from campus and Brújula was about 15 minutes. I did a little TripAdvisor research and since Brújula received good reviews, we decided to try it.

Brújula means compass.



There are 4 Brújulas in Oaxaca, so it's like a Oaxacan Starbucks, but with a lot more character and better coffee. 


 Sipping coffee in this courtyard in the early morning was truly tranquil. 


This is what the barista wrote in my notebook when I inquired about the coffee: El café del Cafe Brújula cuenta con 3 tipos de tostados: Café para todos, Darth (por expreso), y Descafeinado.  El café para todos es un tostado media que encontrara los sabores dulce, acidez, y amargo. 

Translation: Brújula has 3 types of coffee: house blend, Darth for espresso, and decaffeinated. The house blend is a medium roast with sweet, acidic, and bitter flavors.


 I initially thought these cups were boring, but then I finished my coffee and saw this little guy. 

Their coffee was flavorful, full bodied, and balanced.



Rating out of 5 stars
Coffee: 4 stars
Mug: 4 stars
Ambience: 5 stars
Service: 5 stars


There was a Café Brujula within walking distance from my home (though I never bought coffee here), and I saw this sign right after studying the imperative in my grammar class! 

Pide is the informal imperative conjugation for pedir, which means to ask for. But pedir un deseo is a phrase that means make a wish, so this sign translates to "Make your wishes at the counter." 

I thought this wording was rather poetic and liked the addition of the Brujula-styled genie. 

Comments